Saturday 30 August 2008

In Loving Memory of K.V.Muthu



Filial son, patient husband, loving father, respected teacher and superstar friend.
After 32 years, these are the things I know for sure about my father.

He died at the tender age of 40. His children were 9 and 6. His wife was 34. He was an only child of Kathan and Kamachi. Both survived him to see their only 2 granchildren grow up. These are numbers I never forget.

His death made no sense, a massive coronary right after umpiring a hockey match. In those days, we didn't know the things we now know about heart disease. Even though she doesn't ever say it, I know that my mum is anxious for both her children to reach the age of 40, alive. My brother made it to 40 last year and I have 2 years to go. It was a turbulent year for him (my brother) and all our plans for a big family celebration were shelved. Tickets had been booked but we never made the trip. Well, I will be more than happy to plan a big bash for his 50th. After all, "He ain't heavy, he's my brother".

My father, Muthu or to be exact Veeramuthu @ Mondi Andi s/o Kathan it would seem, left so suddenly leaving nothing more than a family in mourning. That, I know for sure, he did not do. He left us the precious gift of friendship. A legacy of friends, who till today, stand by us, the family of Muthu.

The other things I wonder about my father, I am not sure of. And so, my quest to know the person he was continues. I tread carefully for all his friends do not speak of him often. Although its 32 years later and they are almost or passed 70, it is not easy for them to speak of the late Muthu without getting emotional. They do not know that I have hung on to every word they have said about my father in my presence. I've been putting the pieces of this puzzle in my mind for years. My work is not done; I want to know so much more.

I thank God for all the blessings onto my family which has grown from 3 to 10 thanks to the 5 grandchildren God gave my mother. I know for sure, my father has been looking out for us from above.

For everyone else, 31st August is Merdeka Day but for me, it is also the day my father was buried. He passed away on 30 August 1976.

Papa, know that you are loved.

No comments: