Friday 25 April 2008

Gang Larut Malam

I've always regarded my years in the university as the best times of my life. Our only job as students was to study hard and graduate. The rest of the time, I was busy with my wonderful "gang larut malam". I do regret that when I finally fell in love for "real" to my now present husband, being with the gang did take a backseat although we still did lots of things together. And then, after we graduated, taking our friendship for granted, most of us lost touch. Being older and wiser, I realise now how lucky we were to have shared the most pure and beautiful kind of friendships imaginable; we loved, respected and trusted each other unconditionally and with deep loyalty. That is friendship is its purest form. No barriers, no secrets, lots of diverse opinions and views which would often result in a temporary "war" but mostly it was loyalty, respect and love. If you were to look at us, it would seem that we did not have anything in common; race, religion, homestates, backgrounds, areas of study- we were as different as night and day. When we lost touch, we didn't realise that some of us would not see each other for the next 14 years!
Today, I met 2 of them; 2 wonderful friends who have been missing from my life but not my heart. It made 25 April 2008 possibly one of the best days of my life. After 14 years, what do you think I felt? Love and happiness at seeing my friends healthy and happy. It was as if time had stood still, 14 years had not passed and we were at Dewan Makan catching up on the day's events except, we're now responsible tax-paying citizens of this country, mothers and fathers, husbands and wives! But mostly, as time stood still between 5pm-7.15pm this evening at Equatorial Bangi, our friendship resumed with the same vigour and passion. As I listened and looked into both their eyes, I felt my heart racing, my smile would not wane; happiness and love for these two people flowed through every vein in my body. It confirmed what I've said to my best friend, Shirl; these are people who will be my friends forever even if we never meet again. I've missed them so much! They are imprinted in my heart. You just don't know how much you miss them until you feel the pulse of the friendship again; then you go into overdrive, happiness overflowing and you just don't want the evening to end.

I thank god for making today possible. I've prayed and wished for this day to come and it did. Of course, now we want to meet up with the rest of the gang? We want to get everyone together under the same roof at the same time?? Is that too much to ask and hope for??? Well, we're working on it, that's for sure.

To Leiman and Mimi, I love you both and have missed you so much. Here's to the next 14 years and the rest of our lives.

1 comment:

laiman70 said...

hi sham. so touching lah your post. but it's all true. no matter what, there will always be a spot in our heart for a very special friend to stay forever.